Days went by without any notice from the company or the job agency. I gave the agency another call and was told that the company had decided not to hire me. Why I had to call these jokers to get that information is beyond me. Why the company went through hours of interviews, reference checks and negotiations is obscure as well. Might have been the permanent employment/visa thing, I’ll probably never know.
The job market has pretty much dried up and it’s unlikely to get better until the end of January. Which means I’ll be stuck in this freezing, rainy and ridiculously expensive hole for the next month and a half. Can’t complain though, it was my poor judgement that brought me here at such an inconvenient time.
My best bet might be to get some casual work in hospitality – better than hoping for an IT miracle.